- City YMCA, London is a medium size registered charity - Charity number: 1053864; Housing Association number: H4099; Company Registration number: 3169665, and, our subsidiary City YMCA London Trading Limited number: 3074516.
- City YMCA, London provides services across the City of London and the London Boroughs of Islington, Tower Hamlets and Hackney.
- City YMCA, London operates a mixed portfolio of support to young people including our 114 bed hostel and specialist youth provision.
- City YMCA, London has a Board of Trustees who oversee governance matters and they are 'responsible under the charity's goverming document for controlling the management and administration of the charity' (Section 97 of the Charities Act 1993). They make decisions, set strategic direction and ensure that the work of the charity is carried out.
- Trustees are subject to both the Charities Act and the Companies Act with regard to eligibility to hold these positions.
- Trustees must not benefit from their role because they have a duty to act in the best interests of the charity. Trustees of City YMCA, London are volunteers and therefore do not receive a financial benefit.
- Trusteeship is a serious responsibility which requires members to take an active role in the governance of the organisation. This includes:
Setting the strategic direction for the organisation Ensuring everything is legal and safe Supporting the Chief Executive Ensuring the work of the charity is carried out Ensuring the Trustee Board is up-to-date and skilled.
'City YMCA, London are fortunate to have a skilled set of professionals who apply their field of knowledge for the benefit of the charity. Our Trustees have enabled City YMCA, London to make the step change from being a good charity to an excelling charity where good practice prevails'. Gillian Bowen, CEO